Saturday, February 21, 2009

LOST

A crash and then a whistle
Startles me awake once more
Hurry
Brake
Jolt
Screams
Until once more the world is quiet
The heavy labored breathing of the ones in the darkness
Hushed once more

Her scent is like musty pine trees
Infused with salty tears
Not at all like Mama,
No,
Who smelled strongly of lilac.

Although a stranger
She holds me tight against her
Whispers strange, incoherent words of
Love and strength

The feeling of belonging overwhelms me
Is this what it feels like to be
Loved?
Again?

For once in my life
I let it all go
I sob and I shiver
And I quake at the sound
Of the world going silent
Beneath me once more

The shadows of heaven
Engulfing all around me
Swirling upwards towards the music
Playing
Lovely
Can't you hear it?

I hold her tightly to me
Although I'm surely slipping away
Upwards,
Until I can no longer feel the woman's touch,
Even though I seem to be there still.

The lovely tinkling of bells
And the strange smell of lilac
Before me, headed towards me
The whispers of the ones that are loved
Forever...
Lost


3 comments:

  1. So sad! But beautifully depicted scene of a terribly tragic car crash and loss... hope this isn't a memory of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sam! And you too Elsha... no, it's not a memory. This one's just my imagination.

    ReplyDelete